- Raises the retirement age for Social Security and Medicare to 69.
- Cuts Social Security benefits.
- Ends the mortgage tax deduction.
- Ends the tax deduction for workers' health benefits.
- Freezes salaries for federal workers for 3 years.
- Establishes co-pays for veterans at VA health services.
- Raises fees to visit the national parks and the Smithsonian.
- Merges the Small Business Administration into an agency (Commerce) that has always prioritized helping bigger businesses, and cuts their budget.
- Eliminates the Office of Safe and Drug Free Schools.
Fuck it, I don't have the will or energy to rework the fuckarrgh again today beyond noting Veterans' Day is an awesome day to promote cutting veterans' benefits (and if I was Corporate preparing for nastier, hopefully - if desperately - more profitable resource wars, I'd start lowering the labor costs too and I'd start making quality of life shittier in just those demographics most cannon fodder is already recruited from).
Besides, Friday is Neil Young's sixty-fifth birthday:
O! the new album works just fine for me:
- Obama, nailed: His eloquence finds its natural key not in explanations but in statements of purpose. Obama wants credit for the highest intentions even when conceding that he lacks the will to fulfil them. The trouble is that a politician who says what he would like to do and then fails to do it leaves himself open to attack on both counts. You disappoint your supporters and at the same time give notice to your enemies that the thing they stopped you from doing was the thing you would have liked to do.
- On austerity.
- Reagan Revolution, Obama version.
- It's on.
- It's a shame Froomkin writes for HuffPo since I generally don't link to HuffPo (because I'm asked not to for very valid reasons, and if he wants to reiterate why for newer readers - and thank you - in comments, he's welcome), but this post on the Bowles-Simpson is worth reading.
- Daily obamapostasy.
- Daily obamapostasy.
- When you've lost David Sirota.....
- Veteran's Day: fuck that shit.
- Honoring veterans. See opening of post re: veterans.
- Crawl of duty.
- Betting 2012.
- Owen in Shanghai.
- We mean it man.
- Early decision.
- Penny foolish.
- Crisis in Montgomery Village!
- How's that shithouse of an Eastern Shore?
- Go vote for United, which is the best uniform in town.
- Oops, I learned at 7:53 EST Thursday that blooger's feed doesn't allow for the oops when you accidentally hit publish instead of save draft. I'm metapretending I did it on metapurpose.
- Love fade.
- He would have laughed.
- Classical music and the mass market fallacy.
- Pomegranates. Start with Skull Cakin'.
- Crystal Castles w/Robert Smith.
- Russian Futurists.
- America's boy.
I woke this morning to the sound of a little voice
saying this life, it was good while it lasted, but I just
can't take it any longer. I'm going to stop shaving
my teeth and chew my face. I'm going to finish inventing
that way to turn my blood into thread and knit
a sweater the shape of a giant machete and chop
my head right off. The leaves had a green
aspect, all their faces turned down towards earth.
This is exactly how I wanted to act, but I didn't
know where the little voice had hidden, and anyway
who talks like that? What a loss, another tiny
brilliant mind switched off by that same big boring finger.
Clearly life is a drag, by which I mean a net that keeps
pulling the most unsavory and useful boots we
either put on lamenting, or eat with the hooks of some
big idea gripping the sides of our mouths and yanking them
upward in a conceptual grimace. Said the little voice,
that is. I was just half listening, one quarter wondering
what the little park the window looked onto was named,
and one quarter thanking the war I knew was somewhere
busy returning all those limbs to their phantoms.