Dig these three paragraphs:
But Regan bluntly asserted that Scottish football simply cannot afford to have Rangers outwith the top two tiers of the league structure, with his argument not confined to the commercial impact their absence would have.
“Without Rangers, there is social unrest and a big problem for Scottish society,” claimed Regan. “They have a huge fan base and to contemplate the situation where those fans don’t have a team to support, where those fans are effectively left without a game to follow, I just think that could lead to all sorts of issues, all sorts of problems for the game.
“Tribalism in football is really important. It is part of the game. People follow their clubs with pride, it is passed down from generation to generation. There are thousands of Rangers fans whose fathers and parents and grandfathers have been Rangers fans. You can’t contemplate a situation without that and if Rangers weren’t to exist that could have real dire consequences."
Dig this paragraph:
“Do this research. If we don’t have a season, watch how much evil, which we call it crime, watch how much crime picks up when you take away our game,” [Ray Lewis] said.
Ray Lewis was referring to the poor who'd lose a vitally important source of income schlepping beer up and down aisles for fucks like me if stadiums lost their two preseason and eight regular season home games (see here, and call me when a Villager asks Obama about this and he bwahahas), the Scottish fuck worried that out-of-tribe peasants will inconvenience the rich with tribal violence normally flood-channeled into hating Celtic. Still, it's an interesting contrast and compare, the metaphors finely abounding.
UPDATE! Fuckyousaurus Rex.
- Said without exaggeration, holyfuck do I love that song and that video. Love love love. Every month when I think, wait, did I do a theme song, I check youtube to see if this song/video is embeddable (it hasn't been in xxx months) and it's always viewable, but the embedding, when it does appear soon goes away... So I have America's Independence Day to thank, looking for that Galaxie 500 song I discovered embeddable Theme Song July 2012, at least the third time it's been Theme Song of Month. Serendipity is Awesome, as well as finely abounding metaphors.
- Here's some background on Rangers' issues, if you've not been playing along. Use the google if you want to learn more.
- It pisses me off United doesn't have another home game for three and a half weeks, I'm going to rob a bank.
- The commie, John Adams.
- The hidden history of Independence Day.
- Police state.
- On republics.
- Why aren't we freaking out about the LIBOR scandal? I assume it's a rhetorical question.
- Bunch of LIBOR links.
- Time to get crazy?
- Give me liberty or give me endless internet arguments.
- A recommendation to diaperize the econ dept of George Mason.
- There are asshole professors in all departments, but I can assure you, for consistence assholery, econ and MBA professors are consistently the biggest assholes on campus.
- This is a good thing.
- The Portland home kit is gorgeous.
- Orlando FC has a gorgeous home kit.
- Ranciere, for those of you who do.
- Badiou, for those of you who do.
- What is an Aaron Sorkin?
- John Siddique? Anyone know of his poetry? Good thing I have access to a university library's Interlibrary Loan service.
- On email and love.
- Ken channels his Michael Savage. Go on, do yourself a favor.
- Waiting for Wotan's Korean vacation.
- What you can buy me for my birthday.
[THE LOST PINES INN WOULD BE A GOOD NAME FOR A MOTEL...]
The Lost Pines Inn would be a good name for a motel, or No Sheep in the Meadow, The Lost Egos, The Downtown Country Inn, Mike and Ann's, Doug and Diane's, Bob and Joe's or Just Joe's Hotel, Warm Toes Hotel, Anything Goes Inn, The Come Inn, The Company Retreat, The Hermit's Den, La Cave, The Little House Hotel, The Reliquary, The Happy Family Inn, The Rooster's Coop, The Corky Floor, The Henhouse Hotel, The Egg-in-a-Nest, The Rooks Retreat, The Cooks Inn, The Beat A Retreat, and a music group could call itself Crested Loader, or 10-Second Crossing, or 9 Car Train, or Thumb on the Space Bar, or the Unlike Minimums, The Shepherds Without Sheep, Sheep Without Sleep, Two Feminines, Autism, The Twice Maniacs, The Genetics, The Nasty Uncles, Interfering Women, but streets get named typically after numbers or trees of they're given the names of prominent as well as lesser-known citizens or the names of great cities of the world or the great letters of the alphabet from A to Z but in celebration of the things we consume the names of products and objects should be given to some streets (Tagliatelle Lane, Glue Stick Street, iPod Alley) and to encourage pursuit of intellectual professions a city's central thoroughfare might be called Mathematics Avenue, Neurochemistry Street, Jurisprudence Boulevard, or Lit Crit Street while at the edge of town the thoroughways and by ways could commemorate abstractions and generalized conditions (as in Global Capital Street, Logic Throughway, Affluence Alley, Interruption Boulevard, Domination Interstate, Accumulation Highway) and another great name for a motel would be The Soporif's Inn, or The Archive, and Duke, High Spot, Drummer, Archimedes, Shadow, Ranger, and Gamelon might name some of the 220 horses at work under the hood of the blue 2003 220-horse power P.T. Cruiser that got me home by bedtime.