That's at the top of the hill before the descent to Brunswick, photo taken yesterday on way to Harpers Ferry, deliberately stopped for the photo, it's been decades since Maryland put Maryland on a Maryland state route shield, this is the only one I know of. My apologies, you wanted actual game analysis of United's 2-1 win over Ningland? Shambolic, United's defense. Read that first word in the last sentence again as you'd imagine a third tier British announcer doing a Bolton-Blackburn relegation battle last Spring, that accent. Now do Marv Albert saying "Yes!" This is just to say. Reminder, I'm closing comments after 24-hours stagnation not to shut you up but to fuck with spammers. I hate the captcha, assume you too do. Meanwhile, the not-clusterfuckage-but in what I can't talk about here continues even if perhaps it nears finish while the clusterfuckage I can talk about here but don't want to continues now and forever, un-amen.
- One year ago today.
- Pre-anniversary Occupy arrests.
- The logic of Occupy.
- What happened to Occupy?
- 7,453 - 0. That's 0 as in bankers, but could also apply to motherfucking crackers dressed as revolutionary war heroes at Tea-Party rallies. Hmmm.....
- Occupy is not over. Earthgirl has had her obamapostasy, details to come or not (though see above poem), she asked yesterday, What would benefit Occupy more, Romney's election or Obama's?
- Dear Bankers....
- Seeking stories.
- The descent.
- I for one have no problem with Obama's Czechoslovakia policies.
- The howling.
- Complete destruction.
- UPDATE! Today's Shostakovich, his birthday in eight days. Requests solicited though not expected.
- Faith in faith.
- The symbolic and the utilitarian.
- Foxes, perennialists, hedgehogs, revolutionaries.
- Peace on Earth.
- Silliman's always generous litlinks.
- The object of criticism.
- William Carlos Williams was born 129 years ago today.
- The uses of poetry.
- I never got Elvis Costello but I've many friends who did and still do.
- Kate Bush cover. Yes, posted before but reminded just now.
- The best Kate Bush cover ever:
SPRING AND ALL
William Carlos Williams
By the road to the contagious hospital
under the surge of the blue
mottled clouds driven from the
northeast-a cold wind. Beyond, the
waste of broad, muddy fields
brown with dried weeds, standing and fallen
patches of standing water
the scattering of tall trees
All along the road the reddish
purplish, forked, upstanding, twiggy
stuff of bushes and small trees
with dead, brown leaves under them
Lifeless in appearance, sluggish
dazed spring approaches-
They enter the new world naked,
cold, uncertain of all
save that they enter. All about them
the cold, familiar wind-
Now the grass, tomorrow
the stiff curl of wildcarrot leaf
One by one objects are defined-
It quickens: clarity, outline of leaf
But now the stark dignity of
entrance-Still, the profound change
has come upon them: rooted, they
grip down and begin to awaken.