That's Planet's cow, I said, showing the above photo to Thursday Night Pinters on my iPhone. It's going in our front yard after we uHaul it from Ohio over the mountains in December, best garden statuary ever, it'll look great next to the red reflecting ball I'm getting Earthgirl for Giftmas. K said, Planet needs to get it to an all white depth-crunching studio to really capture the negative space. I said, we'll do snow this winter, provided we don't die this weekend via Sandy, the androgynously-named hurricane. Is it a boy or a girl? Of course we scraped scabs bloody re: motherfuckingly motherfuckful motherfucking POTUS 12, our disgust, our surprise at our disgust, our disgust at our surprise, what motherfucking rubes we are, were we always, must we have been? We don't know. We talked about Berryman, how we daydreamed of being a giant but knew, know, we weren't, aren't, we who compete to be top tier interpreters of giants. L said, so, Roxy Music tomorrow, yes? No, said K, I mean yes, but a Julie Doiron cascade too please. Nope, said D, who follows me on twooter, Lambchop. Maybe, I said. Soon. Yup.
- Monsters and their sycophants.
- Mordor, orcs, pigs, capitalism.
- The Reds under Romney's bed. (h/t)
- Robert Reich thinks you're stupid, will write the same column in 2014 and 2016 and...
- Fuck Robert Reich.
- Lawrence O'Donnell (whoever the hell he is) urges you to vote third party unless you live somewhere your vote may matter.
- An honest question: Why isn't the Obama campaign and the DNC screaming SCOTUS! SCOTUS! SCOTUS!
- Copied/pasted from Naked Capitalism: Disposition matrix: “A paramilitary spy agency empowered to kill in secret via remote control. What could go wrong?” … Disposition matrix: “”It really is like swatting flies. We can do it forever easily and you feel nothing. But how often do you really think about killing a fly?” (CFR) … Disposition matrix: “Like last year’s NY Times piece that first detailed the murder racket being run directly out of the White House, the new Washington Post story is replete with quotes from ‘senior Administration officials’ who have obviously been authorized to speak. Once again, this is a story that Obama and his team WANT to tell.” … Disposition matrix: “[T]he government wants Americans to know all about the horrors. It is increasingly eager to discuss its programs and to describe how it goes about murdering ever greater numbers of people. The government does this so that Americans become accustomed to the murders, precisely so that Americans regard the murders as a matter of routine, everyday business.” … Disposition matrix: “In response to the Post story, Chris Hayes asked: “If you have a ‘kill list’, but the list keeps growing, are you succeeding?” The answer all depends upon what the objective is” (cf. self-licking ice cream cone). … Disposition matrix: “A bureaucratized paramilitary killing program that targets people far from any battlefield is not just unlawful, it will create more enemies than it kills.” … Disposition matrix: “When the president kills you with a drone strike, that means you are a terrorist.” … Disposition matrix: “If politicians can get away with not knowing what a ‘kill list’ is, which has been prominently featured on the front page of The New York Times, who’s guessing they’ll be able to plead ignorance about something as bureaucratically innocuous-sounding as ‘disposition matrix’?” … Disposition matrix: “[T]he NCTC is also the government outfit in charge of crafting a ‘disposition matrix’ to oversee the management and institutionalization of the US government’s extrajudicial assassinations — a power the Obama administration asserts it can (without due process) apply to US citizens as well as foreigners.” … Disposition matrix: “Should he win the election in two weeks, Romney will inherit an institutionalized, bureaucratic machine for using lethal robots to target and kill suspected terrorists and their allies. Killing Osama bin Laden was a one-time event; this ‘Disposition Matrix’ is Barack Obama’s real national-security legacy.”
- Of course Romney's an asshole.
- Of course Romney's a piece of shit who'll say anything he thinks serves his ambition. I've never suggested otherwise.
- Of course Ayn Rand was a stunted adolescent.
- Greens and science.
- Oh dear, there's a 75% chance I'm gonna be fucked by Sandy!
- Oh deer, there's a 1 in 114 chance I'll hit a deer.
- ICC! growing 3% a month!
- Your Frederick headline of the day! Will be my neighbor to the left once we've installed the cow in the front yard.
- Objecting to irregardless is futile.
- Something seemed funny about Copa America 16, and then I remembered Copa America is played the year after a World Cup, in an odd-numbered year, and yes, there will be a regular Copa America in 2015, 2016 is a special Copa America, presumably about testing the market in the northern hemisphere, and cool, I understand, it sours me a bit, but irregardless I'll watch.
- WCW poem. Not about Arn Anderson or Tully Blanchard.
- Merwin's Berryman.
- Josipovici, for those of you who do.
- Hey, for whatever reason I've a large Robbie Basho gap in my musical files - suggestions where to start solicited please.
- Oh! John Fahey too, please.
- Strange, heavy psychedelic guitar shreddage.
TO THE ANGELBEAST
Eduardo C Corral
All that glitters isn't music.
Once, hidden in tall grass,
I tossed fistfuls of dirt into the air:
doe after doe of leaping.
You said it was nothing
but a trick of the light. Gold
curves. Gold scarves.
Am I not your animal?
You'd wait in the orchard for hours
to watch a deer
break from the shadows.
You said it was like lifting a cello
our of its black case.