- WhatsAp, Facebook, cultural imperialism?
- Hillarian Inevitability. I'm having a pint after work today with my Hilltop friend, the devout Democrat and obamaphile, I'm guessing he's solidly in that 80% and since he reads this blog he'll probably tell me.
- I chose not to post the video of the Baltimore County Police assholes after I first saw it a couple nights ago because I'm actively trying to reduce aargh not only here but in real life, but since I couldn't resist bringing the Aargh of Hillarian Inevitability to this post, here, have news of the fall out.
- Beyond Hillarian Inevitability, I am certain POTUS 16 in particular and current cultural/political trends in general as we see them will be discussed tonight. We will disagree on the trends meanings. I will push a point too hard and rumple his feelings (this said as vaccine) and I will be told I enjoy being contrarian to the point I lose sight of bigger pictures and pragmatism and I will retort that it is him who refuses to see beyond the micro of party politics. I will get up to buy us a second pint each, and when I return to the table I will try to steer the conversation away to books and baseball to some limited success. A good time will be had though we'll each privately note there's a reason we only do this three, four times a year. Don't worry: won't be relayed here tomorrow, been recapped already today.
- A Zombie has jury duty.
- Berlin MD voted Best Cool Town in USA?
- What Dostoyevsky knew about the Internet?
- Steven Malkmus compares Tiny Daemon Snyder to Donald Rumsfeld! Donald Rumsfeld is a Jagbag. Pete Carroll, the coach of the [Seattle] Seahawks, he is. The owner of the Redskins [Dan Snyder], he’s a Jagbag. He needs to just get it over with and change the name. It’s really petty and ridiculous. I like the Redskins, it’s a storied franchise. I went to the University of Virginia in the ’80s [and] they were brilliant. [The name Redskins] doesn’t offend me, but I’m not Native American. It offends someone else. If they just change it, it will be forgotten — it will just be over.
- He's wrong, it will not be over.
- That moment when you realize Winter has won and your favorite pair of shoes turn rancid from repeated walking in snow? Today.
- Budweiser thinks Baltimore is south of DC.
- RIP Paco de Lucia.
- Planet asked me if I'd go see Tegan & Sara with her at 930 in May and I said sure, this morning I get the weekly email from 930, scroll the schedule to see the date, notice that Wye Oak is playing May 6 and Mogwai playing May 7 (late show, doors open at 10PM, I'm an old man, 930, Mogwai's not going to be on stage until after midnight?).
- Here's the new Mogwai:
EVERYTHING GOOD BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN
has been written in mud and butter
and barbecue sauce. The walls and
the floors used to be gorgeous.
The socks off-white and a near match.
The quince with fire blight
but we get two pints of jelly
in the end. Long walks strengthen
the back. You with a fever blister
and myself with a sty. Eyes
have we and we are forever prey
to each other’s teeth. The torrents
go over us. Thunder has not harmed
anyone we know. The river coursing
through us is dirty and deep. The left
hand protects the rhythm. Watch
your head. No fires should be
unattended. Especially when wind. Each
receives a free swiss army knife.
The first few tongues are clearly
preparatory. The impression
made by yours I carry to my grave. It is
just so sad so creepy so beautiful.
Bless it. We have so little time
to learn, so much... The river
courses dirty and deep. Cover the lettuce.
Call it a night. O soul. Flow on. Instead.