Not only am I disloyal towards my moleskines and boorum & peases by my blind lust for my new Leuchtturm tablet, last Sunday night at 8:12 EDT the clasp of my seven year old Citizen eco-drive green-faced watch snapped, the watch fell onto a sidewalk, has not worked since. I am stupid about watches: I want the one I have to be the one I give to a great-grandchild thirty-five years from now. Once I buy a new watch to replace a hopelessly broken I use the new one until it breaks (they always break) then try to get it fixed (they can't be fixed). I tried to get this one fixed, was told the cost of fixing more than the cost of the watch and the fix probably wouldn't hold anyway, so much was the damage by the jolt to the sprockets and gears. So I abandoned green-faced watch, just like that, except I can't stop thinking about green-faced watch abandoned in a box on my bookshelf, alone, springs taunt, hands tied. I disloyally bought the new one, also a Citizen eco-drive. Me and fucking brand loyalty. I never liked the font of numbers on the old one, I like the font of the new one. I never liked the over-sized diameter of the old one, I especially didn't like the depth of the old one, I like the diameter and depth of the new one. I wish I was wearing green-faced watch right now. I feel like a grifter, the guy who drives his dog to the woods, throws a tennis ball, drives off while the dog thinks it's a game, a traitorous coward. Fine metaphors abound. I'm wearing the new watch: 2051?
- Thus one of the pillars of My Sillyass Deserted Island Five Game.
- I reserve the right - I always do, but today is more likely - to edit the above into totally disloyal unrecognizability. And the right not to.
- Also why I post my favorite posts between noon Friday and Sunday midnight.
- That dog and tennis ball? I saw it happen twenty years ago at Edwards Ferry parking lot on C&O canal, brought the dog home, a neighbor's brother bonded with the dog, took him in. I dream about it constantly, the asshole throwing the ball then running to his car and driving off.
- Today's videos (and background) courtesy of Brooklyn Vegan.
- Trump and the toxic appeal to "anti-fascism."
- Trump is no troll.
- GOP establishment thinks embracing Cruz will benefit him.
- Death of a mannequin: Rubio's last day.
- Here's who's destroying the GOP?
- Heroes and villains.
- Current Villager assessment of POTUS 16.
- More on PJ's DC adventure. I wish I liked the new music more. Last time I said this about new music - forgive me David - Bowie died.
- Kate Bush, Eno, Nick Cave, et al greeting cards.
- The Borzutsky below is from his new collection The Performance of Becoming Human. Thanks to Brad for the heads-up on its publication.
DREAM SONG #17
They took my body to the forest
The asked me to climb a ladder
I did not want to climb a ladder
But they forced me to climb the ladder
If you don't climb the ladder
we will bury you in the mud
I had to decide should I di
by hanging or by burial
I climbed the ladder and they wrapped
a belt around the thick limb of a tree
And when I could no longer breathe
they tossed me into a stream
And I floated to the edge of the village
where someone prayed for my soul
It's like this in a lullaby
for the end of the world:
The options for the end
But this is not really a lullaby
for the end of the world
It's about the beginning
what happens when we start to rot
in the daylight
The way the light shines on
the ants and worms and parasites
loving our bodies
It's about the swarm of dogs
gnawing our skin and bones
Do you know what it's like
when a ghost licks your intestines
To avoid the hole
the children must sing sweetly, softly
To avoid the hole
they must fill their songs with love