He's far better than the rest of us at the necessary daily doh day after every fucking day. I'm glad he's blogging again. He's been a good guy with me, he's smart and funny, but also, it's fascinating watching the renewed pissing contests in comments to be the second smartest guy at that blog, it reminds me we may not need a king but we sure as fuck want one if we can't be one, whatever ratio of nature v nurture. (I used a Star Trek allusion in comments to a Star Trek allusion in the post which alluded to a commenter to that post! That's better than citing Michel Foucault, yes?)
Gaddis? L said, that tedious bastard? Why'd you bring up Gaddis, said D. I didn't know, I said. Buy me a pint, nodding at L, I won't tell you why I love Gaddis, buy me a pint, nodding at D, I won't tell you how much I hate The Fucking Doors,* Hello I Love You on the bar's muzak, D twitching, on purpose, in rhythm. Win.
Lose. No Daily Gaddis today as I never got the chance to read yesterday. Esme's still just shot up and is handwriting out Duino Elegies from memory.
- Counter-culture gone.
- The biggest threat to Western culture? Loaded question, that.
- American liberalism is a dripping faucet?
- The rest of your life.
- It could be argued that one positive side-effect is a temporary halt in the continuing crusade by POTUS of both parties for supra-executive power.
- There will be no defense cuts.
- No difference.
- I bet Senator Mike Lee, who voted against the debt dildo, got a lot of concessions out of Obama, including this post-debt dildo announcement, for his intransigent no vote.
- Crazy or con man? There are no either/ors.
- War debt.
- War in 120 countries.
- On an inverse miracle of intellectual failure.
- UPDATE! Credit where due. Guess who'll never get a GOP nomination for POTUS.
- UPDATE! A frothy mix of lube and fecal matter wants you to eat his jelly!
- Who the fuck uses sillyass Star Trek allusions?
- The Sidewalk: no one pro-sign ever responded, which is fine. People are back to arguing their personal interests without resorting to falsehoods about education funding. My job is done.
- OK, I said I'd reread The Tunnel.
- The ultimate negative Christgau review.
- *People can vouch I hate The Fucking Doors.
- Furs allusion w/song.
- On the beach.
- New Eno.
- No one's little girl.
- Dance of hopping mad.
- The body.
- Guess who's cassette I stumbled on yesterday:
Translated by John Ashbery
O that February morning. The untimely South came to enliven our ridiculous pauper's memories, our your poverty.
Henrika had on a brown and white checked cotton skirt, which must have been worn during the last century, a bonnet with ribbons, and a silk scarf. It was much sadder than mourning. We went for a walk in the suburbs. The sky was overcast, and that South wind stirred up all the vile odors of ruined gardens and parched meadows.
This didn't seem to tire my woman as much as it did me. In the puddle left in a rather steep path by last month's flood she showed me some tiny fish.
The city, with its smoke and sounds of looms, followed us very far along the roads. O the other world, dwelling blessed by sky and shade! The south reminded me of the miserable events of my childhood, my despair in summer, the horrible amount of strength and knowledge that destiny always kept far from me. No! we will not spend the summer in this miserly country where we'll never be anything but orphans engaged to each other. I don't want this rugged arm to keep dragging a beloved image behind us.