William Gass is ninety-one tomorrow. I give him a day early because of who else has a birthday tomorrow. This is the traditional William Gass birthday post excerpt: from The Tunnel:
The other large carton unpacked in the same way - box into box - but the feeling it gave me was the opposite of that suggested by the endless nest of Russians dollies in otherwise resembled, for what I was opening was a den of spaces which now covered the floor near my feet. It was plain that every ten-by-ten-by eight container contained cubes which were nine by nine by seven, and eight by eight by six, and seven by seven by five, and so on down to three by three by two, as well as many smaller, thinly sided one at every interval in between, so that out of one box a million more might multiply, confirming Zeno's view, although at that age, with an unfurnished mind, I couldn't have known of his paradoxes let alone have been able to describe one with any succinctness. What I had discovered is that every space contains more space than the space it contains.
Like I said the past three years, that passage reminds me of a what I was trying to get at (much less successfully than Gass) with automocoblogography.
William T Vollmann's birthday was yesterday. I don't know whether deliberately or not, but yesterday his new Dream was published. I bought it yesterday afternoon.
- I need to talk about the motherfucking dentist. I need to not talk about the motherfucking dentist more.
- UPDATE: Tom Clark on motherfucking humans.
- Just this: You do realize the motherfucking dentist will be a right-wing hero, will appear at GOP convention, will be as lasting famous as whomever that plumber.
- I'm kidding: no one will remember this in a week, if that long.
- And this: more Americans are upset about a motherfucking helmetball player who cheats then lies to a corrupt boss of a corrupt league being punished by said corrupt boss for cheating then lying than a motherfucking psychopath whose life goal is killing endangered species before the species go extinct.
- Fuck humans.
- More Americans are upset about the motherfucking helmetball liar and cheater and evidence destroyer being disciplined by his corrupt boss than are upset over motherfucking cops killing people with complete approval of their corrupt bosses.
- And this: fuck humans.
- And reposting this, Tarzie on Animal Rights. Triskelions will not permit Kindness to animals - let that happen, Thralls might get it into their head to be Kind to each other.
- UPDATE! Nothing - nothing - makes me as crazy dark and angry more than reports (and photos) of motherfucking hunters and motherfucking poachers killing big game for fun and profit. I still haven't been able to form coherent sentences why though I know why I do. It involves everything else that makes me crazy dark and angry. See Gass excerpt above.
- The new, improved grifter, British Empire.
- What recovery?
- A mildly indigestive grimace.
- Bleggalgaze (not mine).
- passionless contemplation.
- Before, during, and after fireworks.
- New New Order. While there is no longer a New Order song always in my head, once upon a time there was always a New Order song in my head. Some still start playing every now and then. But not today.
THE BEAUTIFUL ANIMAL
By the time I recalled that it is also
terrifying, we had gone too far into
the charmed woods to return. It was then
the beautiful animal appeared in our path:
ribs jutting, moon-fed eyes moving
from me to you and back. If we show
none of the fear, it may tire of waiting
for the triggering flight, it may ask only
to lie between us and sleep, fur warm
on our skin, breath sweet on our necks
as it dreams of slaughter, as we dream
alternately of feeding and taming it
and of being the first to run. The woods
close tight around us, lying nested here
like spoons in a drawer of knives, to see
who wakes first, and from which dream.