Get you to play a song or two? He's grandpa to at least half the bands you play.
No Beefheart, no return email.
Sent this email to midday host of the station I listen to:
Hi Chxryl, can I get you to play some Beefheart please, how about "Sue Egypt" off *Doc at the Radio Station* please and thanks.
I must confess, I'm shocked at how little air love Beefheart has got at KxXP. From what I can tell from looking at the playlists since the news of Beefheart's death there has been one song played (on Cole's show Friday).
I realize I'm older (by far) than many of the DJs there who may never have heard or heard of Beefheart, but half the bands and solo acts you all play are descended by some greater or lesser degree to Beefheart. Anyway, I dig the man and his music.
All best. Have a great holiday.
No song. No return email.
First, Sue Egypt:
I don't care they didn't play Beefheart - I'm old, they're young; they may know the name but not the music and don't feel comfortable playing something they've never heard; they may know the music and not like it; they may have had their sets planned out and couldn't find a good seque; whatever: I've never expected all my requests to be played; it's their show. Still, I've been listening to and interacting with and giving money to this station for a decade, these djs aren't friends by any means but they know that I'm a loyal listener. Acknowledge the motherfucking email.
I thought about bitching in a post then decided no, don't be petty, when into my mailbox came (I swear to St Benny of Olsen and will forward the time-stamped email to you if so requested):
’Tis the season. I watched A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott playing Scrooge as though it was the first time I’d heard the story, and thought, “Now there’s a great message, I’ve got to remember that!” (That guy can act!) So, now my heart is bursting with good cheer and thankfulness.
I’m thankful for KxXP listeners like Jenneviere from San Francisco, who recently wrote this to John Richards: “You routinely surprise me by seemingly reading my emotional landscape and playing music that is a direct reflection of how I'm feeling on any particular day… Without ever having met me, you, day after day, mix the soundtrack of my life, and have moved me to laugh, to cry, to dance, to sing... I am most sincerely grateful.”
KxXP’s staff and volunteers work tirelessly to bring you these incredible music experiences. No matter where or how you listen, please support the music community that brightens your day and brings you hours of inspiration and enjoyment.
Why is it important to donate now?
Angriest year of my life. Every day a renewed apostasy, every day a replayed apostasy. I'm dumber today than yesterday. I can't see anything but angrier ahead.
- Police state.
- Now that you can, don't.
- The privilege cringe.
- Bloody trophies.
- Attention deficit disorder.
- The Assange accusations.
- 2010 moments of pure crazy, part one.
- Robert Reich's obamapostasy is tepid.
- UPDATE! Financial Times urges Corporate to tell Americans to Sit the Fuck Down and Shut the Fuck Up!
- UPDATE! Not a bug, a feature.
- Substitute Republicans for Celtic and Democrats for Rangers and understand why no one asks me how I separate politics and soccer.
- An apostasy.
- UPDATE! SNAP! Earlier this month five Columbia University students were charged with allegedly dealing drugs like LSD, coke and pot out of their fraternity houses and dorm rooms. Police called the investigation and bust "Operation Ivy League." In October, a Georgetown University student and one of his high school friends were charged with allegedly operating a DMT lab in a freshman dorm. Although Georgetown is not an Ivy, the news surprised students at the prestigious D.C. college and made national headlines. (Emphasis for my giggles.)
- Under Armor wants Maryland to be what Oregon is to Nike.
- UPDATE! When Ralph Friedgen had a drink w/Gary Williams: He told me another story about a time he felt basketball coach Gary Williams tried to embarrass him in a talk he gave in front of some prominent boosters. One of Friedgen's graduate assistants had recently been arrested for DWI, and Friedgen, even though he liked the coach, decided he had no choice but to fire him. When Williams made it a point to mention to boosters than none of his staff had been in trouble, Friedgen read it as a direct shot at him. Later, Friedgen said he and Williams had a drink together, and the football coach leaned in and told the basketball coach if he ever did something like that again, they'd have to go out back and settle it like men. Williams simply nodded. As far as I know, they got along fine after that.
- NEW PJ HARVEY!
- Birthday playlist.
- UPDATE! Cloudburting cover! (by a 21 year old!).
- UPDATE! KATE BUSH!
- UPDATE! NEW MOGWAI!
CALL ME ISHMAEL
Jackson Mac Low
Circulation. And long long Mind every Interest Some how mind and every long Coffin about little little Money especially I shore, having money about especially little Cato a little little Me extreme I sail have me an extreme little Cherish and left, left, Myself extremest It see hypos myself and extremest left, City a land. Land. Mouth; east, Is spleen, hand mouth; an east, land.