Hey! Did you know Washington DC has a professional soccer team?
It's true! and they're playing this afternoon at motherfucking five o'clock, though it's not their fault this time since the game is in Portland Oregon.
Hey, advice sought! Three weeks from now I'm flying to England with Earthgirl and Planet and three of Planet's friends. Before you begin wagering on whether this will be the best ten days or worse ten days of my life tell me, what do I need to do to set up rental cell-phoning in England, what's the best, most reliable vis a vis $$$ (reliability trumps) cell phone option. Any suggestions welcome.
- One of two Maryland senators who will never again get any of my money, time, or vote.
- Benin approaches a truth: In fact, now that McConnell has admitted it, Democrats should probably let the public know. The talking point isn’t complicated: Senate Republicans will create a recession unless Democrats agree to Medicare cuts. Of course, the talking point will ineffective if Dems decide to go along with McConnell’s hostage strategy and pay the ransom.
- On the above.
- Seeing the elephant.
- Rick Perry.
- Rick Perry.
- On Rick Perry for POTUS.
- A frothy mix of lube and fecal matter.
- The GOP's Uncle Joe Biden.
- Petticoat Junction's Uncle Joe.
- He's a movin' kind of slow.
- Corporate propaganda.
- The littles.
- No dancing at the Jefferson Memorial. (h/t Lisa)
- It's not a bug, it's a feature.
- Miracles of modernity.
- Filter bubble.
- When we think we lead we are most led.
- I live in awe of serendipity; I found this trying to make the earlier lame joke. (By the way, I thought Bobbie Joe the hottest by omfgful.)
- More Cedar Sigo. I've ordered a copy of Stranger in Town through ILL, should have it next week. Will post a poem of two when I get it.
- Handke, for those of you who do. I've a professor acquaintance who says if you can't read Handke in German don't bother since Handke's main interest is the language. When I said that's true of all translations she said yes, but it's especially true of Handke. I've no idea.
- El Camino Real.
- The Magic Place.
- Low Bay of Sky.
- Lost Wind.
- The Tale.
- Gotham Lullaby. (Yes, Bjork covered it.)
MY GREAT UNCLE ETC, PATRICK HENRY
There's a fortune to be made in just about everything in this country, somebody's father had to invent everything--baby food, tractors, rat poisoning. My family's obviously done nothing since the beginning of time. They invented poverty and bad taste and getting by and taking it from the boss. O my mother goes around chewing her nails and spitting them in a jar: You shouldn't be ashamed of yourself she says, think of your family. My family I say what have they ever done but paint by numbers the most absurd and disgusting scenes of plastic squalor and human degradation. Well then think of your great great etc. Uncle Patrick Henry.