The taxi picks us up at 4:00 PM, we fly out at 8:00, land in Reykjavik around midnight for an hour layover, land in London 3:00 AM body time, 8:00 local time Saturday morning. My druthers for Saturday is to ride the red buses around while in jet-lagged daze and try to get to sleep early. We'll see.
We've survived our first crisis. The twins (two of Planet's friends are identical twins who I can tell apart when they're together and almost always when they're apart) were going to end their trip in London by meeting their grandmother and chunneling to Paris, but Wednesday the grandmother fell and broke her ankle and can't meet them. I called Icelandic Air and got all the return information and forwarded it via Planet via the twins to the twins' parents, and they are booked on our plane from London to Reykjavik but must take two different planes, first to New York, then to Dulles. I have no idea how much Icelandic Air gouged them, but it must have been a mighty gouging. If this is the worst crisis of the trip, please and thank you.
I will be posting photos and comments about the trip, though how much and how often depends on both time and internet access. I'm assuming the hotels we'll be in will be happy to gouge me for wifi - I remember the first night in London when we went in 2009 I was shocked to find I needed to pay for wifi in the hotel and rice and water at the Indian restaurant, what a motherfucking American I was. I'm hoping there's too much to do to blog more than hurriedly - certainly, below is your last
- Don't be a pigfucker.
- Blown to peaces.
- Zombie nation.
- America is being raped.
- Economics as metaphysics.
- Your president. I only own him through January 2013, regardless if he's reelected.
- John Cole's obamapostasy (of only a small sort).
- UPDATE! Yes, I've been informed the above goes to the article about Gaithersburg goats. Oops. Better than the original anyway.
- Al Gore's running-mate.
- Three powerfully wrong American narratives about the Arab Spring.
- Žižek and eclecticism.
- Frothy mix of lube and fecal matter.
- Hating atheists.
- Fire's manifest destiny.
- I think the woman who took the time to email me - and thank you - meant well. I have a wife, daughter, and two parents who tell me to stop cursing so much all the time. Well, not so much Planet, who doesn't mind (too much) but has turned down a Landru $20 dare to say the word "fuck" just once for over a decade. I'm convinced that 90% of the people who come here and never come back or come here occasionally or all the time but don't link or blogroll couldn't give a motherfucking fart about my motherfucking cussing; I'm either worthy or I'm not. But this is not the first time that I've been advised that there are people who see mofobomb (TRADEMARK! *Mofobomba*) or other cursing as an instant disqualifier or a permanent impediment to association. Cool. Fuck it.
- More Little Danny Snyder.
- Metro line through Georgetown?
- My future hell.
- You're next!
- Father's Day.
- Pan Galactic Summer Love Hit.
THE STRANGE HOURS TRAVELERS KEEP
The markets never rest Always they are somewhere in agitation Pork bellies, titanium, winter wheat Electromagnetic ether peppered with photons Treasure spewing from Unisys A-15 J mainframes Across the firmament Soundlessly among the thunderheads and passenger jets As they make their nightlong journeys Across the oceans and steppes Nebulae, incandescent frog spawn of information Trembling in the claw of Scorpio Not an instant, then shooting away Like an enormous cloud of starlings Garbage scows move slowly down the estuary The lights of the airport pulse in morning darkness Food trucks, propane, tortured hearts The reticent epistemologist parks Gets out, checks the curb, reparks Thunder of jets Peristalsis of great capitals How pretty in her tartan scarf Her ruminative frown Ambiguity and Reason Locked in a slow, ferocious tango Of if not, why not