Planet needed a new phone so we went to the Corporate Store. She got a iPhone 4s, which means she can ask her phone what color is a carrot and get immediate and accurate response. I thought about getting myself (I'm due an upgrade) an antique iPhone 4 (that doesn't know a carrot's color) for half the price of the soon to be obsolete iPhone 4s but decided no, then thought, I wish I'd brought my new Kindle Fire so I could check my email.
- Links for a post about the web and the mind.
- Reflections on Occupy and social media.
- Graphic charts of crony capitalism.
- Suppression of the Left, union-style.
- Incoherence of the Left, the Right, the middle.
- Mass lunacy.
- Government, Enron-style.
- Fleet of wahmbulances.
- Obama and the GOP circus.
- Thomas Schaller is profoundly stupid. It may be a political opportunity for Obama; he will gauge his response with his standard amorality, nothing more or less.
- The Conservative comeback, part infinity.
- YFWP really hates Newt Gingrich. Speculate why.
- HRC again. I still think Obama will jettison Biden for Clinton in a nanosecond if he thinks he needs to.
- Rhetorical question.
- Notes from the underfoot.
- Things you might have missed.
- Born seventy-one years ago today. Happy Zappadan! There's tremendous Beefheart news for your daily Giftmas present later today - Zappa and Beefheart requests solicited, here and via email - I'll include them.
MIRRORS AT 4 a.m.
You must come to them sideways
In rooms webbed in shadow,
Sneak a view of their emptiness
Without them catching
A glimpse of you in return.
The secret is,
Even the empty bed is a burden to them,
They are more themselves keeping
The company of a blank wall,
The company of time and eternity
Which, begging your pardon,
Cast no image
As they admire themselves in the mirror,
While you stand to the side
Pulling a hanky out
To wipe your brow surreptitiously.