So I figured it out, both how to make a movie of a folder of photos and how to drive away readers. Well, I always knew the latter. That's this past Saturday, our drive to Columbus and back and Delaware and back. All photos by Earthgirl. Yes some are sideways, sorry, it took an hour to figure out how to make the movie, I love you but I don't have two hours to right-side up the portraits she shot. I showed her the movie last night, she said, why don't you fix the sideways photos, I said, here's the folder, you spend two hours straightening them out, she said, Fuck that. What the fuck, I caught myself deliberately writing a sonnet, complete with end-rhymes?
- This bodes well. This bodes ill.
- Blood is their argument.
- Had coffee yesterday with a former teacher and better than associate but not to level of friend, he teaches conventional Political Science from a Chris Lasch and Robert Putnam is on the required reading list (or were at the time I took his class: substitute in whatever's today's analog) perspective. He's a pox on both sides but .06% more pox on Republicans person. Obama should have governed further left, he said, his assumption being - and if Obama loses I think this will be takeaway of the disappointed (that and Hillary regret) - that Obama ran towards a false middle against his liberal instincts for errant political reasons. My friend said - correctly, we've all yodeled this - that Obama could have governed as George Barry Wallace Goldwater and not gained a single vote from the 47% who'd never vote for anyone in a Democratic uniform. We disagree about Obama's liberal instincts, I said, but here's why he's in danger: he came off in the first debate as if he'd already won, like he takes our votes for granted (as he should in most cases).
- So, who won? I caught two minutes on the radio, bromides of condescending standard speak from both.
- Since Washington Post's resident Romney cheerleader isn't hyperventilating over a Romney victory, I have to assume Obama won the debate.
- O'Reilly blasts Romney. Guess Romney lost.
- Peacenik Mitt? A liberal gloats.
- Bayonets are today's hot-button issue?
- McGovern's letter to Obama.
- Come home, America.
- The war we're not debating.
- On the need to point out that no one has gone to jail over The Clusterfuck.
- Who needs intellectuals?
- A list of Marxist historians?
- Emotional work and cultural capital.
- Bleggalgazing 10K posts.
- Today in bleggalgazing: overnight I got pinged repeatedly on pj harvey ()aked ()ex ()ideo. There's a pj harvey ()aked ()ex ()ideo?
- St Benny of Olsen.
- Silliman's always awesome litlinks.
- Every trip to Ohio includes at least one Tindersticks album.
Take a dog to the vet's, he knows what you're doing,
a cat becomes a muscle, she leaps from your arms
and oh, and ah, you won't kiss your dog
because of where his mouth was, and ah,
your cat has delivered a rat at your door
so lie down on the left side, or the right,
and let me find a place for my arm
for what can the police do
or the effigies floating over us
made of cloth and stuffed with cotton,
one only with a whistle,
one only with a sheet of white paper.