- Frank Bridge was born 135 years ago today.
- We talked about Blegsylvania last night at a Tuesday Edition of Whatever Night Fits All Our Schedules Pints. At this point, I said, I don't mind the obligations I impose on myself, but the fact I now see them as obligations means lights are changing. I'm not sparing you the rest, I just haven't formed the rest into coherent sentences yet, but at least I've put that great Mary Lou Lord song in my head, now yours.
- More chimeras.
- The Friends of Glenn.
- Notes on Want To Start a Revolution?
- Food links.
- Midcounty Highway! Fucking Clarksburg, the developers especially, but the fucks who bought houses there too.
- The state of United. Planet comes home a week from Friday, home opener a week from Saturday.
- The 150 year hunt for the Great American Novel.
- Angel Olsen.
- Above two links via Hamster, thanks.
- Gentle resignation: Houellebecq, for those of you who do or, like me, never had and should. Not a conscious choice - I didn't decide I wouldn't read him - I just never have.
- Hymn to Life.
A bride and a groom sitting in an open buggy
in the rain, holding hands but not looking
at each other, waiting for the rain to stop,
waiting for the marriage to begin, embarrassed
by the rain, the effect of the rain on the bridal
veil, the wet horse with his mane in his eyes,
the rain cold as the sea, the sea deep as love,
big drops of rain falling on the leather seat,
the rain beaded on a rose pinned to the groom’s
lapel, the rain on the bride’s bouquet,
on the baby’s breath there, the sound of the rain
hitting the driver’s top hat, the rain
shining like satin on the black street,
on the tips of patent leather shoes, Hokusai’s
father who polished mirrors for a living, Hokusai’s
father watching the sky for clouds, Hokusai’s father’s son
drawing rain over a bridge and over the people crossing
the bridge, Hokusai’s father’s son drawing the rain
for hours, Hokusai’s father rubbing a mirror, the rain
cold as the sea, the sea cold as love, the sea swelling
to a tidal wave, at the tip of the wave white.