- James Tate's birthday was Friday past. He would have been 74.
- Normally I would have posted his standard Egoslavian birthday post, but Gass' death.
- Today is Olivier Messaien's birthday. He was born 109 years ago today.
- Earthgirl had museum and lunch plans with a friend yesterday, and it was snowing so no disc golf w Dr Z or solo hike for me, so I got to the book and clothes purge I've promised Earthgirl.
- We be donating shit away - we're downsizing.
- Found that old Tate up above, the first I owned, bought in the 2nd Story on Old Georgetown back when there was a hardware store at the corner of Wisconsin and Old Georgetown in Bethesda.
- I don't play My Sillyass Deserted Island Five Game with poets (or novelists) though Tate (and Gass) have permanent seats.
- Tate poem below from Viper Jazz, the first Tate poem I read, why I bought the book.
- The she who made me feel like fungus and died in her room when I died in mine was standing next to me when I first read the poem in the bookstore.
- Also found $75 in old Barnes & Noble gift cards, so I've preordered the new Richard Powers (and I'll forget, so one day this coming April I'll be pleasantly surprised).
- Also ordered two used paperback copies of The Tunnel, if you want one, and ask nice, and I like you, I'll send it to you.
- As always, I don't ask that you finish any book that I send you, only that you give it a fair shot.
- Also, a replacement of Gass' On Being Blue in the beautiful NYRB edition.
- Gass's death: not sadness - if offered a lucid run into my 90s right now, I'm buying - but love.
- Tate's birthday is also the anniversary of Lennon's assassination, so where I was, w this, my favorite Lennon song, at above post.
We were just a couple of drifters
on this planet of
some odd billions customers
open all night. She was always
loving and attentive
what I considered
an abnormal number of morbid references,
so that at times I felt like a fungus.
Meanwhile we drank and smoked
and listened to country music.
She died in her room
and I died in mine.