Hey! Did you know Washington DC has a professional soccer team?
It's true! and tonight is the last game until next Spring at RFK, and while I'll wait until next week to write this year's autopsy and obit (or not, or not at all), it will read sort of like this United autopsy and obit. It was a boatload less miserable than last season. I think they could have survived either Jakovic or Pontius' injuries to make the playoffs but not both (and been a dangerous team if neither had got hurt), and more good was gained this season than bad. Next year I want to see Boskovic in attacking mid playing off DeRossario in withdrawn with Pontius and Najar on the wings and anybody but Josh Wolff or Joseph Ngwenya or Charlie Davies up top.
As for Kasper Payne, he fell in the love with Nodax, which was stupid, but fell out of love and traded Nodax for DeRossario, which was smart. If fucking Stevie Nicol hadn't ordered Boskovic crippled in a USOC qualifier in Germantown that trade probably would never have been made. I went to England three months after United's season opener and got home four months ago today. Time is elastic, and sometimes it's enough that my team no longer has Nodax to consider the season successful.
- Also: The conference was illuminating and provocative, though there were parts that were challenging and even a bit dense. That is the nature of the beast. Unfortunately, too often the major questions on how to realize a radically new society resides with the intelligentsia, especially those in academia. In this, some work harder than others to make difficult stuff popular. That said to even try is commendable -- an expression of a certain commitment toward breaking through. In that respect a story Zizek -- the Slovenia philosopher who is among the most important thinkers around today -- told of how the Marxist historian Eric Hobsbawn once gave a talk to a group of workers. In a self-deprecating style he said, "I'm not hear to lecture, I'm here to learn from you." Zizek noted their response. "Fuck off, you are making fun of us -- you have the duty to tell us what you know!" There is a need for such intellectual work.
- OWS: The Commercial.
- Occupy and the poetry of now-time.
- What is communalism?
- Occupy the mortgage lenders.
- John McCain has a sad.
- Was going to comment on this, now I don't have to.
- It's so unfair. Say what you will about motherfucking Democrats holding up their end of my .06% less-shitty problem, the Republicans are having no problem honoring their end of my .06% less-shitty problem.
- That's no moon.
- Liszt was born 200 years ago today.
- What you can buy me for Giftmas.
- In the Whippoorwill's Sad Orchard.
- Hyacinth Girls.
- Azure Dome.
- Garden of Your Past.
- Too late! I just bought it. I've a fortune of worthless cassettes.
- You can buy me this for Giftmas, though.
- Though I woke up with this in my head:
THE RAIN-STREAKED AVENUES OF CENTRAL QUEENS
It ends badly, this glass of wine,
before you drink it
you have to drink a prior glass,
before you sip you gulp,
before you chug the bottle
you pour it down your throat,
before we lie together
naked, we divorce, before we rest
we grow old, it ends in chaos,
but it is delicious,
when we wake it is the past,
we are the faces staring
from the high lit window,
the unmet lovers, the rivals
who do not exist,
united in a radiancethat will not fade at dawn.