- Busy, I'm behind on links because of my new weekend lazyass blegging policy, plus last night's post covers what I'd been thinking about, plus the new Tindersticks album is so good, have more again.
- Won't stop until there's nobody to kill.
- Grid, not goal.
- On carbon democracy.
- Coercion v control.
- Social class of teachers.
- Mapping stereotypes.
- EJ Dionne fears the end of the GOP cracker-baiting, prays for Frothy.
- Clarence Thomas for POTUS! No, really.
- College educated crackers are stupider than non-college educated crackers. I've no doubt this is true for college educated pwoggles like me too.
- Frothy (B.A., M.B.A, J.D) tells crackers don't go to college.
- The cracker obsession with ladyparts.
- They are motherfucking crackers.
- Posted because the guy with the shoe phone is my avatar's nemesis.
- My new second favorite soccer team.
- You are forewarned. I'm fully inhabited by The Unconsoled, my third time now. No author hits the chords in my head like Ishiguro. Love love love. See below in the usual poem spit
- Looking at birthdays, I notice that Peter De Vries was both 102 years ago. When was the last time you saw mention, much less read, a novel by Peter De Vries?
- I think the Oscars suck when it's good; I'm told by those who like the Oscars that last night sucked. I can't imagine the depth of that suck, except to guess it's the same to me.
- Stuart Staples interview.
Gustav the porter, first chapter, Ishiguro's The Unconsoled:
"I should be honest with you, sir. It's only fair. When I was younger, when I first made these rules for myself, I would always carry up to three suitcases, however large or heavy. If a guest had a fourth, I'd put that one on the floor. But three, I could always manage. Well, the truth is, sir, four years ago I had a period of ill-health, and I was finding things difficult, and so we discussed it at the Hungarian Cafe. Well, in the end, my colleagues all agreed there was no good reason for me to be so strict on myself. After all, they said to me, all that's required is to impress on the guests something of the true nature of our work. Two bags or three, the effect would be much the same. I should reduce my minimum to two suitcases and no harm would be done. I accepted what they said, sir, but I know it's not quite the truth. I can see it doesn't have nearly the same effect when people look at me. The difference between seeing a porter laden with two bags and seeing one laden with three, your must admit, sir, even to the least practiced eye, the effect is considerably different. I know that, sir, and I don't mind telling you it's painful for me to accept. But just to return to my point, I hope you see now why I don't wish to put down your bags. You only have two. At least for a few more years, two will be within my powers."
The Oscars were last night?ReplyDelete
Stop trying to be the anarchiest and pay attention to the teevee for once.ReplyDelete
thank you, sir, as always.ReplyDelete