- My avatar's nemesis was born 89 years ago today.
- The material existence of ideology.
- Metropolitan resistance.
- BTW, anyone complaining that the Romney campaign and Corporate - GOP Division is running with the Rosen story as hard and dishonorably as they possibly can should remember (a) Romney's playing POTUS 12 for fuck's sake and (b) remember how the Democrats deliberately and gleefully used (and will use future) Romney quotes taken out of context and (c) STFU.
- UPDATE! This: Political scientist Tom Ferguson has noted that there are always two elections at work concurrently in America, a public election that voters see, and a hidden election where funders operate in shifting coalitions to pull the levers of power. In this case, it’s the very triviality that is on display that speaks to what is going. Rosen, a corporate lobbyist who represents or has represented copyright interests, for-profit colleges, and BP, is fighting with David Axelrod, who has made money from the nuclear industry, and Anna Romney, who rides expensive horses bought by her husband’s private equity millions. This is staged kabuki between powerful millionaires, none of whom can credibly speak from recent experience on economic struggles.
- UPDATE! The gist of my question about what Rosen's comments may have cost her.
- For example.
- Motherfucking Obama.
- Even Kos-writers have the occasional obamapostasy.
- War on women, war on everybody.
- On lesser-evilism.
- On the oh-so-polite middle-class asshole.
- Things you might have missed.
- Lowell George was born 67 years ago today.
- UPDATE! Zen's got a couple of song and stuff.
- Seamus Heaney is 73 today.
- Glanmore Sonnets.
- Beckett was born 106 years ago today.
GLANMORE SONNETS IV
I used to lie with an ear to the line
For that way, they said, there should come a sound
Escaping ahead, an iron tune
Of flange and piston pitched along the ground,
But I never heard that. Always, instead,
Struck couplings and shuntings two miles away
Lifted over the woods. The head
Of a horse swirled back from a gate, a grey
Turnover of haunch and mane, and I’d look
Up to the cutting where she’d soon appear.
Two fields back, in the house, small ripples shook
Silently across our drinking water
(As they are shaking now across my heart)
And vanished into where they seemed to start.
No clue what this shitstorm was so I had to look it up. Comical on all fronts.ReplyDelete
Been surrounded by plenty of oh-so-polites for a long time. More folks should-but-won't realize it ain't that far from A to Bambambam for a sizable chunk of all-striped Murkans.
Godot's busy drinking with Wotan.
Good post, bdr. Thanks for the birthday shout outs, as well. They happen to be dudes that have had a powerful influence on me. My work day can't blow enough to get me totally down now.ReplyDelete
Of course, I also turn to the dyad of McClusky and Grinderman to at least partially ameliorate my inchoate rage.
Some days, beloved, you could not possibly be more full of self-absorbed shit if you actually went to the self-absorbed shit-packing clinic and had yourself medically stuffed.ReplyDelete
Happy Birthday, HH. I'd come upstairs and fuck up your work day, but I'm not in the building. I'll see if I can drum up a skeletal mariachi band or something to mark the occasion.
Oh, also: slide guitar kills. I saw them in Columbus once. Yes, that tour.ReplyDelete
And wait a minute, I think I read HH wrong. No matter, I've already dispatched the boneyard Mexican (s)trumpets.
Heh, self-absorbed shit? It's a motherfucking blog, by metaphysical definition it's.... but yes, I needed to publicly and pridefully castigate myself for the stupid iPhone, though in my defense, the dumb phones the Corporate store sells are dumber now than the dumb phone that died that they sold me five years ago.ReplyDelete
I saw Little Feat a few times here in DC (a big Little Feat town) and was at the Lisner show for George's solo album the night before he died. Still weirds.
Hamster, I've got a present for you, will show up here later today or tomorrow. And we need to game-plan for Monday. I'll call you tomorrow.
Would you like to join the Sneed Urn Fan Club? A hundred dollar membership gets you a free t-shirt and a hand lettered "Sneed Urn Fan Club" cardboard sign, suitable for waving around at all Little Feat shows, and guaranteed to get you invited onto the tour bus. Act now, supplies limited...ReplyDelete