- The Citizen Kane Era returns.
- The ten reasons Akin ain't quitting. This POTUS is rolling out exactly as I thought it would when I offered pint bets on Obama's reelection the morning after his victory in 2008 - let the motherfucking crackers horrify enough independent voters and wobbly Democrats to garner Obama enough votes in swing states. Gonna work. Scritch my cutter instincts, I'm working to suppress them.
- UPDATE! Paul Ryan called, Akin said no. Remember this when a Democratic candidate says something controversial and Biden calls him/her urging quit.
- Republican landslide in Amazon book vote!
- Planet will be in Ohio all Fall. Her college is in a solid red county though it's near enough the swing-city of Columbus (you Ohioers, am I right in my assumption that Cleveland's blue, Cincinnati's red, rural is red, Columbus and suburbs tips the vote?) that she could see the candidates if she gave a major shit which, at least so far, she blessedly doesn't. But the noise will be unavoidable and suck.
- Villager Court Jester makes same joke I made on twitter seven hours earlier.
- From sophistry to agnotology. Had to look up the latter: agnotology = the study of culturally induced ignorance.
- Crime and Pussy Riot.
- Motherfucking christers.
- Sugar jubilee.
- The war in the shadows.
- Where I grew up, or rather, where I lived when I was a child.
- I played alto clarinet in that band, this guy cornet.
- Gaithersburg the 23rd best place to live in America? Behind Waldorf?
- North Bethesda plantation is in ROCKVILLE.
- Between the Seneca viaduct, the Monocacy viaduct, the Harpers Ferry tunnel and Harpers Ferry bridge, I only thought I was going to die via train a couple dozen times.
- Blegsylvanian history: was emailing with bud, we were recounting the early days of litbloggery, those who died, those who quit, those who morphed into megayucks, those we miss, those we still like, those still here who can fuck themselves. I've added maybe ten new sites to Because Left over the past month, please, any lit/music/art blogs you dig that you don't see there send me a bump. Nothing against anyone in Because Right, but I'm much more Because Left than Because Right in my damn these days.
- Abandoned Olympic venues.
- Cello Concerto first second third fourth fifth.
- Petite Air a Dormir.
- A Prunella playlist.
- Robinson Jeffers.
- Madness, rack, honey.
- Happy Anniversary Melville House.
- Reminded of today's poem via consumptive.
THE SURLY ONE
When true love broke my heart in half,
I took the whiskey from the shelf,
And told my neighbors when to laugh
I keep a dog, and bark myself.
Ghost cries out to ghost–
But whose afraid of that?
I feel those shadows most
That start from my own feet.
You're repeating yourself (Citizen Kane etc.)ReplyDelete
Also. Bwahahaha! You both played in a band named after a brand of condoms? Why oh why didn't I know this before?
Heh, I just noticed the double and removed it. I'd forgot to when I remembered the KITH skit.ReplyDelete
It would be more accurate to say we both *partied* in a band named after a brand of condoms.
Columbus and suburbs tips the vote?ReplyDelete
Is this a prediction for 2012, or a historical observation?
OH-15, which is "my" district, elected Boehner protege and bankster lobbyist Steve Stivers in 2010, over a very decent first-term Dem, Mary Jo Kilroy.
That's what happens when your Democratic president is a gooper in disguise.
P.S. The Columbus suburbs are full of comfortable goopers.
Obama could personally disembowel brown people while screaming Die! Otherfuckingmay Uslimay! on national TV on an hourly basis and goopers would call him a socialist traitor.ReplyDelete
Why would Akin quit? This is a man who once had his own spinoff.ReplyDelete
I assume your assumption is correct but if pays more attention to this crap than I because he's got issues.
Hey, I left you a present at your place. Is that a Peter Frampton reference in my store?ReplyDelete
Columbus Dems seem to run as Repubs locally from what I see, the Cleveland metro's pretty Democrat to a fault and sometimes I forget that the rest of Ohiostan exists and that the Republican voters there are not like the ones I grew up with.ReplyDelete
Speaking of which, WTF Dreher? I know being Eastern Orthodox is esoteric and trendy over here, but over there it's a kinder gentler machine gun hand of the state and occasionally a toxic nationalistic thing and therefore the point of the ladies in balaclavas is missed completely. and this is from someone who ideologically swings more his way than others!).
Some of us took our music seriously, unlike the reedlickers on the other side of the formation.ReplyDelete
Remember this when a Democratic candidate says something mindbogglingly stupid, patently untrue, aggressively antiscience, and patently and undeniably misogynistic, as a window into the fundamental dishonesty of his position on a critical issue, and Biden calls him/her urging quit.
Fixed that for you. It needed it. Badly.