- The Citizen Kane Era returns.
- The ten reasons Akin ain't quitting. This POTUS is rolling out exactly as I thought it would when I offered pint bets on Obama's reelection the morning after his victory in 2008 - let the motherfucking crackers horrify enough independent voters and wobbly Democrats to garner Obama enough votes in swing states. Gonna work. Scritch my cutter instincts, I'm working to suppress them.
- UPDATE! Paul Ryan called, Akin said no. Remember this when a Democratic candidate says something controversial and Biden calls him/her urging quit.
- Republican landslide in Amazon book vote!
- Planet will be in Ohio all Fall. Her college is in a solid red county though it's near enough the swing-city of Columbus (you Ohioers, am I right in my assumption that Cleveland's blue, Cincinnati's red, rural is red, Columbus and suburbs tips the vote?) that she could see the candidates if she gave a major shit which, at least so far, she blessedly doesn't. But the noise will be unavoidable and suck.
- Villager Court Jester makes same joke I made on twitter seven hours earlier.
- From sophistry to agnotology. Had to look up the latter: agnotology = the study of culturally induced ignorance.
- Crime and Pussy Riot.
- Motherfucking christers.
- Sugar jubilee.
- The war in the shadows.
- Where I grew up, or rather, where I lived when I was a child.
- I played alto clarinet in that band, this guy cornet.
- Gaithersburg the 23rd best place to live in America? Behind Waldorf?
- North Bethesda plantation is in ROCKVILLE.
- Between the Seneca viaduct, the Monocacy viaduct, the Harpers Ferry tunnel and Harpers Ferry bridge, I only thought I was going to die via train a couple dozen times.
- Blegsylvanian history: was emailing with bud, we were recounting the early days of litbloggery, those who died, those who quit, those who morphed into megayucks, those we miss, those we still like, those still here who can fuck themselves. I've added maybe ten new sites to Because Left over the past month, please, any lit/music/art blogs you dig that you don't see there send me a bump. Nothing against anyone in Because Right, but I'm much more Because Left than Because Right in my damn these days.
- Abandoned Olympic venues.
- Cello Concerto first second third fourth fifth.
- Petite Air a Dormir.
- A Prunella playlist.
- Robinson Jeffers.
- Madness, rack, honey.
- Happy Anniversary Melville House.
- Reminded of today's poem via consumptive.
THE SURLY ONE
When true love broke my heart in half,
I took the whiskey from the shelf,
And told my neighbors when to laugh
I keep a dog, and bark myself.
Ghost cries out to ghost–
But whose afraid of that?
I feel those shadows most
That start from my own feet.