Terry Riley (here's the MP3 library at Ubuweb) was born 78 years ago today. Here's an all Riley show from Bryce in 2012. The recently released Don Cherry - Terry Riley 1975 live concert from Koln is another best release of 2013, it's today's cascade. It's only on vinyl that I can find, fucking iTunes is useless as usual, HEY! someone with a turn-table, if I buy this and send it to you will you please burn me a CD? Archive that direct appeal for a partner in copyright theft, Copper!
- The elite are not primarily concerned about terrorism.
- Unearthing chthonic conspiracies.
- The Ten Commandments of Neoliberalism.
- The Thirteen Commandments of Neoliberalism.
- How to protect - to a point - yourself.
- I actually did phone canvassing for hours in the weeks leading up to the 2004 election and physically canvassed voters in Harrisburg on election day in 2004 for this motherfucker, gave his campaign hundreds of dollars, the current SoS. He lost the election in significant part due to a campaign labeling him a traitor for speaking out against the atrocities in Vietnam. Irony's a bitch.
- Michael Hastings and the war on journalism.
- Obama is making a speech on campus tomorrow, in the extraordinary security precautions going into effect the building in which I was to attend a meeting I dread will be closed so the meeting needs rescheduling, so thanks, Obama.
- Bleggalgazing, of a sort, and more.
- I have read at least six variations of the joke on the irony that Snowden might go to Cuba to avoid US courts where did he get that idea.
- I am also reminded that during breaking news people report to their digital overlords for info and instruction.
- The Napoleon and Momcat Emergency Alert tagline remains until....
- Map of MOCO tweets.
- Ten Mile Creek!
- New Inquiry's Sunday links.
- World Cup of Short Form of Cricket.
- Anthony's links of the week.
- To a mouse.
- Ashbery and the pragmatist sublime.
- Twee started earlier than you think it did. Remember arguing, Belle and Sebastian, twee or fey?
THE DEFINITION OF GARDENING
Jim just loves to garden, yes he does.
He likes nothing better than to put on
his little overalls and his straw hat.
He says, "Let's go get those tools, Jim."
But then doubt begins to set in.
He says, "What is a garden, anyway?"
And thoughts about a "modernistic" garden
begin to trouble him, eat away at his resolve.
He stands in the driveway a long time.
"Horticulture is a groping in the dark
into the obscure and unfamiliar,
kneeling before a disinterested secret,
slapping it, punching it like a Chinese puzzle,
birdbrained, babbling gibberish, dig and
destroy, pull out and apply salt,
hoe and spray, before it spreads, burn roots,
where not desired, with gloved hands, poisonous,
the self-sacrifice of it, the self-love,
into the interior, thunderclap, excruciating,
through the nose, the earsplitting necrology
of it, the withering, shriveling,
the handy hose holder and Persian insect powder
and smut fungi, the enemies of the iris,
wireworms are worse than their parents,
there is no way out, flowers as big as heads,
pock-marked, disfigured, blinking insolently
at me, the me who so loves to garden
because it prevents the heaving of the ground
and the untimely death of porch furniture,
and dark, murky days in a large city
and the dream home under a permanent storm
is also a factor to keep in mind."
Thank you Obama and thank you James Tate!ReplyDelete
Isn't this 'shitty blog' merely your own mixtape audition to become 'digital overlord' of at least some of us? I thought so. Your complicity. +/-.06%ReplyDelete
That should send you into a spiral of bleggalgazing self-reflection that will keep you Occupied until the next beggalgazing meme arises.
1)while we are recalling the work of Robbie Burns, "also known as Rabbie Burns, Scotland's favourite son, the Ploughman Poet, Robden of Solway Firth, the Bard of Ayrshire and in Scotland as The Bard" - my late father (born and raised in Nova Scotia) would from time to time recite the last verse of this:ReplyDelete
2)i tell my wife (and the homeowners association) that our back yard is a nature preserve - that is my sincere intention, and i think any fair-minded person could agree that it is at least a plausible hypothesis
He lost the election in significant part due to a campaign labeling him a traitor for speaking out against the atrocities in Vietnam.ReplyDelete
Doubt that's why he "lost" the election. But don't let anyone disrupt your fantasies.
Maybe, maybe not Oxtrot, though again, though as always your remarkable ability to miss the point of what I am saying never fails to astound.ReplyDelete
It is as old as the stones.
It came with Humans to the Earth
and it offers them a way out
of the web of sorrows
but at a price:
we must observe ourselves,
our behavior, our
inner and outer responses,
objectively. This means
without taking a personal interest
or doing anything about
which self observation uncovers:
like a bad boy with a stick
overturning a stone
and finding a mass of crawling things
from stomping on them.
---Red Hawk, 1996
in The Way of Power
today is my birthday - i am six years older than Lincoln, the protagonist of James Tate's poem "The Diagnosis"ReplyDelete
F: Did you ever receive the Milosz?ReplyDelete
J: Have I ever denied my complicity?
C: Happies! and thanks for the poem.
Besides being ranked last, as in fiftieth, in child welfare, I think all the talk about NM being a third world country may be true, at least vis a vis their postal system. I have received a pittance of forwarded mail and nothing that weighs more than an ounce or that could be resold on ebay. I am so sorry. I coveted that volume more than I can say. I plan to go to the main post office this week and see if I can shake anything out of them (cue the Get Smart laugh track), but I am not hopeful on that score.
Sean, you're banned. People have asked me why I put up with your shit and the answer is I don't know, maybe because you used to comment smartly and respectfully here to everyone's benefit before you decided you'd rather be an asshole. Fuck that. Go troll someone else.ReplyDelete
You: "J: Have I ever denied my complicity?"ReplyDelete
Me: You mean by statements (in the form of questions) like that?