- Shostakovich was born 108 years ago today. MSADI5G, High Egoslavian Holy Day.
- Think of others.
- The War Machine. Had Bush the audacity Obama has for Executive Power we would have howled. Oh, wait, we did howl. But... But... Isis! Xena the Warrior Princess' hot girlfriend.
- The NFL is the bell cow of empire.
- Though I'd never heard of Bill Simmons until this.
- Speaking of fine metaphors abounding, it was driving me fucking nuts, where I had seen the actress who plays Ezri Dax in Deep Space Nine's final season, she was Laura in the KITH skit I use for fine metaphors abounding. Um, fine metaphors abound.
- Sloan. Luther Sloan.
- It is an interesting development, this new POTUS has no power so therefore POTUS has all power.
- Reminder: motherfucking Democrats.
- Mediation: anarchism.
- While I'm scratching apostasy's scabs, let me thank DC United, who wanted to charge me $20 + $10 parking + $10 for crappy beer to see a Wednesday night game v some scrub team from Panama? where? Fuck you. This should be Special Game B out of three in a season ticket package. What? There's no Game A?
- Whew. That was close, that nostalgia-stroke of two days ago. I may not go to another game this year. I owe some faiths nothing.
- Bad love is easy to do.
- This is true: I really do think, when I post a Peter Jefferies post, that people know who Peter Jefferies is.
- The Opposite of Icarus.
- Radical linguistics in an age of extinction.
- A writer died today.
- Hilary Mantel, for those of you who do.
- The idiotic fuss over Mantel's new book.
- I swear to Baal, I'm getting closer to getting it. And when I do, this blog will really suck.
- Jeremiah Cymereman pieces, for those of you who do.
- Yes, it's Mark Rothko's birthday too. Later today, with the requisite Morton Feldman piece.
- Click the Shostakovich tag for more Shostakovich, click the Berryman tag for more Berryman.
THE BALL POEM
What is the boy now, who has lost his ball.
What, what is he to do? I saw it go
Merrily bouncing, down the street, and then
Merrily over—there it is in the water!
No use to say 'O there are other balls':
An ultimate shaking grief fixes the boy
As he stands rigid, trembling, staring down
All his young days into the harbour where
His ball went. I would not intrude on him,
A dime, another ball, is worthless. Now
He senses first responsibility
In a world of possessions. People will take balls,
Balls will be lost always, little boy,
And no one buys a ball back. Money is external.
He is learning, well behind his desperate eyes,
The epistemology of loss, how to stand up
Knowing what every man must one day know
And most know many days, how to stand up
And gradually light returns to the street,
A whistle blows, the ball is out of sight.
Soon part of me will explore the deep and dark
Floor of the harbour . . I am everywhere,
I suffer and move, my mind and my heart move
With all that move me, under the water
Or whistling, I am not a little boy.