When I yodeled about Corporate regularly here - when I was raw, penance me, my dumb but necessary apostasies flaying - I would often, according to loved and respected ones, credit Corporate with more control over events than Corporate could feasibly manage much less design. I plead guilty. Do I think Corporate incorporated Darren Wilson's soul and compelled his body to shoot Michael Brown, do I think Corporate incorporated Michael Brown's soul and compelled him to be shot by Darren Wilson? No! Do I think Corporate knowingly exploits situations it knows it inevitably - and purposely - creates, that it's not this particular situation calculated but the necessary parameters established that there will always be another profitable horrible situation, the shock/hate values steadily escalating as austerity leads to collapse in increasingly gruesome intensity and frequency? Yes!
- So, guess what I woke up with in my head.
- I am still whack enough to think it not a coincidence that the GOP dumped their oh, Benghazi, we were just shitting you announcement two days before the Ferguson grand jury announcement and that Obama fired his DOD head for gross incompetence in killing Muslims the same day as the Ferguson grand jury announcement.
- Acceptable disassociation.
- Whitewashing imperialism.
- The only way to stop empire.
- Meekly entering the Arca fray.
- Faxing the innernet.
- Marion Barry, guardian angel of punk rock.
- MOCO already requires chain restaurants to post calories, it's shocking how fattening restaurant food is.
- Elizabeth Bishop, for those of you who do.
- Nick Drake, for those of you who do.
SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED
Standing in line at the SuperSave, it all falls
Into place, Princess Di and the aliens and diet
Tips from outer space, King Tut and King Elvis,
Out of the subfusc air, the rank urgency of dusk,
Among the heavy odors of differing dungs,
Acrid signatures of urine, the bold perfume of musk . . .
Nostradamus, this year's senate race, unforeseen
Links between absolutely everything and sex,
Conspiracies requiring conspiracy to be detected,
From a sibilance of scattered leaves, the sudden
Snap of twig, inflections of a gabbling breeze,
Horizons stained with dust, the attitude of trees . . .
And O my fellow shoppers waiting to check out,
What appetite is this that drives such dim belief,
What thirst for intercourse between these banal bits?
From the cacophony of birds as from abrupt silence,
Odd sounds of usual insects, subliminal presence
Of added shadow, faintest trembling in the ground . . .
When greed and accident stand ever ready to explain,
Whence this convolvulus of tenuous connection?
What need for the devious when the obvious will do?
From remarkable weeds, from a slight imbalance
In the normal proportion of game, from distressed bark,
Out of the bewildering swirl of importunate sense . . .
Attention, shoppers, there lies a veldt within us each,
Its grasses rustle with intent, and on that plain
Was born the fine suspicion that has carried us so far,
To behold the unassuming fact and comprehend design,
To look upon confusion and construct its plot and act,
To leap at merest notion found floating in the mind . . .
Has brought us to these sheltered aisles under thin gray light,
Where in boredom and abundance we seek our narrative,
Whatever tale comes now to kill us and can creep.