Stopped at Lewis Orchard* yesterday (didn't see Landru) for staymans, decided to drive through Pooleville, it'd been a couple of years, and I pulled into the small shopping strip that once housed Selbys Market, owned by a family that also owned Center Market on Diamond in Gaithersburg, I knew the market had closed, it's now a Tractor Supply store, and when turning around in the parking lot we saw Poolesville's Trump Store
- Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods.
- A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar.
- A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to the ground.
- Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
- Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses.
- Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage.
- Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.
- Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
- If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner.
- For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
- The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
- On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- *Drove Peach Tree Road, one of Moco's great roads, the fourteen miles from Old Hundred to 28, saw no Trump signs, maybe six houses with Biden signs
- This is true: Most of the Democratic establishment’s arguments are basically “Vote Biden so we can stop deliberately psychologically brutalizing you with nonstop hysterical clickbait about Trump.” It’s just a more complicated version of “I’ll stop hitting you when you give me what I want.”
- This is true and possibly fatal: In other words, even after Clinton’s loss, the Democrats are still serving up candidates that are so convinced of their superiority that they can’t even recognize how often they sneer at voters. Maybe Trump is now so demonstrably terrible that they’ll get away with their snootiness and lack of concern for ordinary people this time around. But maybe not.
- America in November 2020: a Structural-Demographic View from Alpha Centauri
- Shredding journalistic integrity
- Avedon Carol's occasional links
- I burned that tractor in Nebraska two nights ago, George hasn't sent me a Thank You! note much less money
- Woke up with Feelies in head, love all the versions of their one great song
MOUSE RELEASED FROM ITS TRAP