The big Muriel Rukeyser birthday post, second year in a row I'm not posting as a standalone, the sixteenth birthday of 2020 I have either not posted the standard standalone or not posted any mention at all, that I keep count is today's bleggalgaze
- The traditional BLCKDGRD Muriel Rukeyser birthday paragraph: I took an Intro to Poetry course at Montgomery College when I was 20 or so when I was first learning I dig poetry (and trying to impress two women). The professor, who insisted we call her Tessa (so I don't remember her last name), prescribed beats and radicals, among them Rukeyser for her feminist and social protest themes. I liked her poetry then and for a few years after, but somewhere, by some erroneous aesthetic reasoning, I came to think overt political declarations in poems boring and, frankly, embarrassing no matter how well crafted the poem, so I stopped reading Rukeyser except when I'd come upon a poem in a magazine or somewhere. What a fucking dope. To be honest, my poetry, when I look up from the page to see what I've written, is often too full of overt political declarations, it's what I'm best at rhythmically, propulsively, embarrassingly, I'm so much better at that than I am the object><subject><subject><object-ology of poetry I somehow came to believe was superior, poetry's aim and goal. In any case, two years or so ago someone returned to the library Rukeyser's collected and I've been reading it since. It's a second chance at education.
- 2020 December 14
- Cosmic superhighways!
- Gaddis 2020
- I hear Wiman's gorgeous bells for the sounds they make but listening to what he is saying about his imaginary friend God sorta sucks, it doesn't help his name is Christian Wiman
- Sade's castle
- The variable timepiece
- Object lessons
- New tag, clusterfuckfree, more of these I hope
- The dream of the swimming pool
- Dennis Johnson
- Bleggalgaze: I would lose +75% of readers if I went totally clusterfuckfree, +50% readers if I went 50% clusterfuckfree, so fuckclusterfuckfreeme, hard, fine my metaphors complicity abound
- Clothing as first conduit
- Huge run of Harold Budd music for RIP on Jesse's show early this morning
THE SPEED OF DARKNESS