Had conversations with three good workish colleagues and two email yaps with buddies, lifelong Democrats all and devout -.06%ers still, who each for the first time expressed to me genuine shock and fear Obama might actually lose to Romney. I still offer 4-1 pints on Obama's victory, there's three months of daily shitstorms to go before the conventions and Labor Day and the true beginning of the shittiness, plus he's running against a gaffe machine made out of a cardboard box, plus he can move the country further to the right by 2016 than Romney ever could, which Corporate is more than aware. My reassurances didn't assuage. The jobs news of yesterday morning (and please remember the numbers were cooked, as all administrations cook numbers, to be the rosiest possible without stinking of tilt) (made Obama's cockswording - and all he has is his Muslim-killing cred, the sole issue trending up in his campaign's internal polling - seem even more puny, cowardly, craven) made five obamapostles (and numerous bloogers and pundits) squirm to a revealed possibility the motherfucker just might lose and, most interestingly, each entertained the possibility the motherfucker is in fact a lame motherfucker.
- The best thing you'll read today.
- Think about all the things you'd advise Obama to be talking about that he's not talking about, I said to one friend, ask yourself why he isn't. She considered. June 1, 2012, maybe not a paradigm shift for obamapostles, but the day some stopped to consider the validity of the paradigm.
- Jobs report.
- I know I linked to this yesterday, but it bears repeating: The 2012 election should be a referendum between two visions of America. On the left, Obama should say that we’re in a jobs crisis, and that he’s going to do everything in his power to get people back to work — by employing them directly, if need be. On the right, Romney can say that job creation should be left to US companies, despite the fact that those companies are signally failing to increase their payrolls despite their record-high profits. And then the public can choose which side they want to vote for. Sadly, the lines won’t be drawn nearly that cleanly: Obama is bizarrely reluctant to talk about anything which rhymes with “stimulus”. As a result, the current dysfunction — and horribly weak jobs market — is likely to persist for far too long.
- Obama more likely to bomb Iran than Romney?
- The war on Iran.
- Motherfucking Obama.
- There's money to be made in a police state.
- Motherfucking Obama.
- Romney's sugar daddies.
- China's take on human rights in USA.
- North Korea on western propaganda.
- Jubilee mudgeonry.
- The society of the spectacle.
- We are all anonymous.
- Teaching as librarianship.
- In which Rae Armantrout, a poet I admire, talks about musicians I, with the exception of Cohen (though I'm getting there) and Adele (what's an Adele?) run the emotional spectrum from hate to loathe.
- Murakami bingo! I'm still thinking about 1Q84 daily. Yay!
- The life you save may be your own.
JUST ANOTHER PARADIGM SHIFT
Just a shadow. Hardly that. But audible.
Coming out of the woods, whispering
Happily Ever After.
Even in that light—
stars with the skeletons of animals
and old friends—
to the eye behind the one always
left open on the east side of the house,
downhill. Where the coffee trees
and hemp and the graves of old dogs lie,
buried themselves in leaves and left
to the sputtering wind of memory.
& if that's not enough (he says
to himself in the voice of a black-and-white
actor whose name is a moth that keeps
avoiding the tip of his flaming tongue)
to bring you home, well, there
it is again,
by your efforts to make it
enough to stay. Impatient,
back down into the woods, whispering
Once Upon A Time . . .
Y'know, when you actually start ranting about black helicopters, it's going to be a little stressful for that whole unconditionality thing. But I'll try to keep a pure heart.ReplyDelete
Oh, and while I'm talking to you, even though it's in front of the world, Tuesday is no substitute for dinner.
There *is* money to be made in a police state, you know.ReplyDelete
Are you still resolutely anti-Indian restaurants? We're going to Planet's favorite tomorrow night, Hamster might join us, you all are of course encourage to join us, though I'm guessing we'll see you Tuesday. Planet's in. Tickets bought.
"plus he's running against a gaffe machine made out of a cardboard box,"ReplyDelete
I pictured cereal box cardboard, as opposed to corrugated cardboard.
Uhm...which one is the softball?ReplyDelete
Covering both: Honestly, there's money to be made either way. I'll take it, if only for the sake of today's birthday boy (but not really just that, of course).
Alsotoo, probably not the best place to explore the depths of my racist complicity.
I wish all of you folks who want to beat the royal crap out of Obama for sport would spend 20% of that time just considering beating up the opposition. Just for a teeny hint of balance, you know? Or maybe just for something closer to reality.ReplyDelete
Wake me when Obama offers anything other than superficial opposition to the supposed opposition party.Delete
We beat up on Bush when he had the power. That is the balance - giving Obama any kind of a pass is bullshit. (Not that it matters anymore, of course...)Delete
Oh, and now that I think of it, I haven't had a real job in four fucking years. Just temp work, for which I'm supposed to be eternally grateful. But it's a damn joke. Unemployment humiliates you for pennies, and the bounce you get from temporary employment is never enough to counteract the sink you get when it dries up again.Delete
"Sport," my ass. Obama is a shit. He's killing us, and he revels in it, the pious fucking asshole.
If it weren't for the support of friends and family, I would've been out on the street or couch-surfing three-and-a-half fucking years ago. Now stop and think for a minute about how many people in my position had no support when the shit hit the fan, and were left with nothing to eat or to take shelter in but more of Obama's fucking saccharine pieties.
So fuck you for thinking that this is about "sport," Sasha, you ass. Seriously, just go fuck yourself. And take your homily-spitting champion with you.
ms_xeno, thanks for reading and thanks for commenting, but Sasha is a friend of mine and, while we have profound and probably irreconcilable differences over who Obama is and what Obama represents, she is not an ass. Please, confront away, but please, no *go fuck yourself* in comments. Thanks.Delete
All right. Sorry to have bothered you. I'm surrounded on all sides in this neck of the woods by people who seem to think it's frivolous to criticize a real-life power-broker who takes a real-life toll on many of us. For which, so far as I'm concerned, he deserves real-life contempt. Nothing at all "sporty" about it. "Sport" is cat macros and giggling at reruns of cheeseball Seventies action shows on YouTube and maybe blowing up a remaindered Peep in the microwave. Being furious at Obama and his overlords and underlings, not so much.Delete
Again, I'm sorry. Carry on.
ms_xeno, you didn't bother me, I just needed to make clear that I'm fortunate that almost all my commenters are friends analog or friends digital. Hope you continue to drop by.Delete
Fuck Rmoney for spying on everybody without a warrant, redefining the definition of "militant" to make his drone strikes appear more righteous, and putting a liar like John Brennan in charge of them.
ms_xeno, I don't know who my "homily-spitting" champion is but I'll continue to read and post on my friend's blog. I don't think you have to like it. Or what I say.
I'll get back to my job now.