- Buy you Tate's *Government Lake* if you ask nice & I like you
- Last night at 20:03 EDT
The title of James Tate's final book, "The Government Lake" comes (I think?--) from a David Berman poem, "Classic Water"--https://t.co/8l0ESJhmo7— Dan Chiasson (@dchiasso) August 8, 2019
I remember Kitty saying we shared a deep longing for
the consolation prize, laughing as we rinsed the stagecoach.
I remember the night we camped out
and I heard her whisper
“think of me as a place” from her sleeping bag
with the centaur print.
I remember being in her father’s basement workshop
when we picked up an unknown man sobbing over the shortwave radio
and the night we got so high we convinced ourselves
that the road was a hologram projected by the headlight beams.
I remember how she would always get everyone to vote
on what we should do next and the time she said
“all water is classic water” and shyly turned her face away.
At volleyball games her parents sat in the bleachers
like ambassadors from Indiana in all their midwestern schmaltz.
She was destroyed when they were busted for operating
a private judicial system within U.S. borders.
Sometimes I’m awakened in the middle of the night
by the clatter of a room service cart and I think back on Kitty.
Those summer evenings by the government lake,
talking about the paradox of multiple Santas
or how it felt to have your heart broken.
I still get a hollow feeling on Labor Day when the summer ends
and I remember how I would always refer to her boyfriends
as what’s-his-face, which was wrong of me and I’d like
to apologize to those guys right now, wherever they are:
No one deserves to be called what’s-his-face.
- I've never met Berman's poetry, I'm intrigued
- at 20:15 EDT @thebafflermag tweets
RIP, David Berman—musician, poet, friend. pic.twitter.com/LZ8G9MtGqq— The Baffler (@thebafflermag) August 8, 2019
- I had never heard of David Berman (or had forgot, look at *your* yearbooks) until 26 minutes ago this sentence typed and dug, dug, first poem I read, 20:15 tweet, I...
- I'm pagan for Serendipity
- (I confess, I did not make the Silver Jews connection either, it's not I was born without Silver Jews gene, I just never got snagged when hearing them)
- I pushed back work arrival because things I can't talk about, this is true: Monday Tuesday Wednesday this week driving to Hilltop at northwest corner Metrobus stop at Wisconsin & Mass a ghost not only a ghost but a ghost who saw *me* Wednesday
- not Serendipity but Figures, the feral metaphor
Pjoepf of Vriecyh